9.01.2008

No formula for this one

There isn't a pantone that can do justice to the magnificence of a sunrise. The colors made with light and transparency are so brilliant. One thing I love about sunrises and sunsets is the ephemeral nature of such an art display. It's of the moment, doesn't last, and can only be enjoyed for a few seconds, maybe minutes. The beauty of it is that despite the impermanence (is that a word?), it has more power to move me than any immobile piece of art. I think that's one thing I love about dance too. It moves me beyond what most other art can, yet there's nothing to show for it afterward. I like that it leaves no physical trace, no footprint, no mess. I don't have to have a place to store it or hang it. As much as I love art on paper or canvas, or some other such medium, it can become a burden in it's redundant need for appreciation and care as time passes. The past can be great to remember, but living in the moment of an ephemeral artwork, then allowing it to pass without regret is refreshing and invigorating to me. Such an act allows for the joy of creation without the aftermath of "what do I do with all of this stuff that is so precious to me that I can't throw it away, but that I really don't have a place for." Food is another medium that fits this fantastic phenomenon of ephemeral art. It can be a joy to create, and bliss to consume, and you can repeat the joy the next day and the next and the next. It actually goes rotten if you try to keep it around for too long. I am reminded of the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It's a great read. I shall let go of the past, be blissful right now and throw out those shoes I've been saving that I know deep down, I will never wear again.

No comments: