9.05.2008

Juicy, intense, red!


Fruits, wombs, beating hearts. This picture reminds me of these womanly emblems of life because of the seeds, the soft flesh, the inner chambers, the flowing juices of the fruits. PMS 179. I love the closeness, the freshness, the warmth, the demanding nature of red.

The house smells rich, and fruity. Mostly it's the peaches. The tree is heavy with the ripening crop. The counters are sticky with the dripping juices. The dehydrator is full of sliced, and diced bits. We've got reds and oranges all around. A fullness for the eyes, a feast for the belly, and a delicious aroma that makes me smile. Giddiness is around the edges and happy delirium lurks behind that round, fuzzy peach. Juicy and sweet.

The tomatoes are amazing as well. The other day I pureed a few pounds of them to add to the chili I was making. So red and sweet smelling, fragrant and warm was the puree (the tomatoes had been in the sunshine, still on the vine only moments before) that I almost couldn't resist drinking it up like a smoothie. It gave brightness to the flavor of the chili, that's for sure.

And the peppers have a special sweetness hidden in their robust ridges and thick skinned juice pockets. It comes up around the edges of the tongue after the sparky (but still mild) bite gets to me. Fresh produce from one's own garden is fabulous!

No comments: