9.02.2008

Beehive Bazaar Dec. 2007 — A tribute to my mom

Last Christmas I made some things to sell at the Beehive Bazaar. Here they are:

Note cards and Buttons



10" tall Gingerbread Cookies
("Ms. Ginger" came solo; a packet of 2 cookies was named "Fred & Ginger")


Painted Reclaimed School Chairs





I must give some credit to my mom. She helped me make and decorate all of the gingerbread cookies. She also deserves partial credit for all of the projects I do. She gave me some of the most important tools I have. She taught me to brainstorm, to think creatively, to commit myself to excellence. I remember watching her tole painting. She had such precision and control in her hand. I remember watching her pipe icing decorations on a stunning wedding cake. Again, the dexterity and discipline she exhibited were impressive. I remember time and time again coming to her with a school assignment and no idea where to start. She never failed to light the way, helping me organize my thoughts, develop ideas, and carry out the project. I certainly didn't feel creative or skilled in my efforts during those years. Moments of clouded brain syndrome still inhibit me on occasion, at which time I push aside the despair of an approaching deadline and an expectant client and try to remember my mother's lessons. You learn from doing, even someone else's doing. So moms out there: do not fear that your child isn't learning anything when you sit down and do their homework with them. As long as you do it with them, and not for them, they will learn more than you thought you had to teach.

2 comments:

Wacky Woolies said...

I like your comments about what mother's can do and their influence. I think you are a good writer.

Hiedi said...

Thank you!