10.07.2010

Yellowstone Summer Trip 2010











Fun times with the cousins this summer at Wendell's parents' cabin in Island Park, just west of Yellowstone. We saw amazing wildlife including a black wolf, up close, a coyote, some moose, elk, bison, squirrels, and my favorite: a hawk swooped down from the sky, caught a fish from the Snake River (about 100 feet away from the cabin) then flew through the air with the silver fish in it's talons. It felt like we were in a NatGeo special. We drove to the top of Sawhill Peak (is that what it's called?) which is so high there are no trees, and although it was hot, end o' summer weather down below, the icy wind blasted right through our layers as we posed for the last picture on top of the peak. Stiff, frosty snow gripped the trees along the road as we neared the top, and the ground was covered with ice. We also floated the river for several hours one day. Max even came with, which slowed us down a bit as Janet and I shared a boat and she had to paddle all alone, against the wind, while I nursed Max during the first half of the ride. Slow going, but fun, and a work out. We were all tired afterward. We saw Old Faithful, of course, and ate icecream at the snack bar there. Josh noted that he'd been waiting a whole year for that icecream (we did a trip to Yellowstone last year, just Josh and I and Mavis and Jack) therefore, he couldn't, or wouldn't share when I asked for a taste of his. I guess he really loves the icecream there. Josh and the guys took scuba tanks so they could explore the depths of the Firehole while the rest of us swam around up top. What a beautiful place!

5 comments:

Audrey Crisp said...

It looks beautiful! I can't believe how big and cute your kiddos are!

FLEUR de Lo said...

Would you believe I've never been to Yellowstone? I'm dying to go...I almost stopped by your house today to pick up that book, but I figured I should give you a heads up.

RAQ said...

hey we also went to Yellowstone and the kids and men ventured into the Firehole! cool they went scuba diving there!

Lisa said...

So glad you are posting again Hiedi! I love to read all about your family. Are you coming on ?Friday? Remind me to give you Nicki's new blog address, she has been writing @ her adventures in NY.

Hiedi said...

@ Lora, it's a long drive but worth it. We read books out loud while we're driving around, so that's fun. There are so many beautiful, other-worldly things to behold there.