9.30.2010

Stand For the Family

My new favorite book:

Stand for the Family by Sharon Slater.

I love it because of it's powerful messages: We can make a difference in the world! and, Motherhood is the most important, and most rewarding of all the jobs I can choose to do. This is a great read and has renewed my commitment to my marriage and family, and to the betterment of the lives of all the people of the world.

(Ok, I do have to add a warning...now that I've actually finished the book. I do not recommend this for younger readers as it talks about too many sensitive subjects in too much detail for the younger crowd. It is an adult read, that gives parents information that they can then talk about with their kids, screening the info to make it age-appropriate for their needs. It is a book full of the first-hand experiences of the author during her 10 years attending UN meetings and "World Congress of Family" meetings, in addition to a great set of research to show the scientific backing for why the traditional family unit is the best way, and really the only way, to go. Sharon Slater also succeeds in providing a host of ways to help protect and promote the family, which gives me hope and renewed energy in my daily efforts as a wife, mother, and wanna-be activist for the traditional, nuclear family.)

3 comments:

FLEUR de Lo said...

Do we need to put it on our group-read list? Sounds like a good one!

RAQ said...

I was going to post a link to her website on my Freedom Friday but ran out of time. I seriously want to look into that book!

Unknown said...

hiedi, thank you SO much for your post. it means a lot to me to hear from someone, especially a member of the church. i am strengthened by the testimonies around me everyday. often people say converts are todays pioneers...i disagree, its people such as yourself... born into the gospel and always striving to progress. it takes a lot to be a constant, faithful member of the church and i am so grateful for people like you, who give me an example to follow. thank you so much for reading my story...