1.28.2010

Christmas delights

This is the delightful new bedspread Amberlee sewed for me for my birthday. It makes me so happy, almost giddy, every time I walk in the room and get a shot of all those bright colors! It's exactly the picker-upper I crave in the middle of winter.

These are the Thomas Keller gougeres we made for Christmas dinner (from Bouchon, I think). Wow! Another deluxe delight this Christmas!! I have to say though, that I like the Tartine gougeres a LOT too, and the Tartine variety are so beautiful. I'd like to make them both the same day next time so I can compare them, especially the flavors, more fairly. It's been too long since we made the Tartine gougeres, so it's hard for me to be sure of which ones taste better. Josh thinks the Thomas Keller version tastes better while the Tartine version looks better.
And here I am eating a chocolate pot de creme (recipe courtesy of Cook's Illustrated) at the Christmas Eve party. The chocolate was topped with whipped cream then garnished with crushed peppermint candy and a peppermint meringue cookie. Make sure to serve these when the chocolate creme is at room temperature. They taste much better (smoother, creamier, lighter, yet still very rich) than when they're cold (too rich and overwhelming...you can only eat one or two bites when they're chilled).
Seems like I forgot to take pictures of the rest of our Christmas festivities. Oops. I was too busy making the festivities happen to also make some pictures happen. At least Josh remembered the camera on Christmas morning. The videos he took are the best. See the videos of the kids on Christmas morning.

5 comments:

Madelyn said...

Thanks for posting a picture of you! You look great! Such pretty long hair! Your kids are cute too of course. I can't believe you super glued your son's face! I've never heard of that. Maybe I should go buy some...

Hiedi said...

My sister is a nurse in the ER and she said that for the injury he had, it wouldn't make much difference (except in cost) if we super-glued or got stitches, so we decided on the more cost-effective method.

Audrey Crisp said...

Great colors! so fun! I love it!

The Hardman Family said...

You are so stink'n cute and creative and your spousey is an incredible cook. Man, I love that pizza!

We went shooting on the west side of Utah lake just past Saratoga. It's great out there. The shot of the mountains I got because of the Haze over the valley. It was BEAUTIFUL so see the moutains poke out.

Let's get together soon.

RAQ said...

that is a beautiful quilt! your food always looks (and tastes) amazing. I getting fat just thinking about it!